Open Adoption

Our nephew on Easter Sunday. Seems he was tired of the paparazzi.

What do you do when the adoption wait has you feeling down? Attend an event held by an adoption agency that is not your own, of course! Good thing? Bad thing? The jury is still out on that one, but it really got us thinking!

One good thing most definitely came out of that night for us. There were several speakers at this event. One of the speakers was a teen who had been adopted as an infant. It was a closed adoption. We got to hear about his emotional struggles brought on by the unknowns of his adoption story, his attempts at finding out the who’s, what’s and why’s that led to his adoption, and finally the healing process that has begun for him. We also heard from a woman whose life was touched by adoption, both as a birthmother herself, and as an adoptive mother of two. Eighteen years after placing her son for adoption, the two made contact and got to know each other. She wanted to make sure that he knew he was loved by her, and that she thought of him often. Today, they continue to have occasional contact.

All of this got us thinking – a lot – about our decision for an open adoption. The more we dug into the subject, the more we realized how wonderful open adoption can be….not just for the adoptive child, but for the birthparents and adoptive parents as well. Open adoption has the ability to create one big family out of what started as two individual families – much like inlaws! A study from March 2011, done by Evan B. Donaldson Adoption Institute, shows that only 5% of today’s adoptions are closed adoptions. The other 95% are broken down into open (55%) and mediated (40%). What an amazing and wonderful change over the past several decades, in the way we now think of adoption!

Our continued research on open adoption led us to a series of YouTube videos by yet another adoption agency. Again, not the agency we belong to but definitely worth taking the time to listen too. I think they have a total of 52 videos online. Eleven of those videos are all about open adoption. They talk with birthmothers, birthfathers and adoptive parents. These videos were so wonderful to watch. We sat up late one Friday night, watching video after video, until we saw all eleven. We encourage everyone who is touched by adoption, or curious about open adoption to watch these videos. They touched our hearts.

Videos:  Open Adoption and Family Services

Hopefully, one day, we will have the opportunity to grow a family similar to those in these videos. Until then…..we wait.

Advertisements

About Blue Sky Happy

Learning to make our own happiness every day. Hoping to, one day soon, adopt a sweet lil' one.

2 comments

  1. Anonymous

    I pray for you often that your dream of adopting will happen. I know it was hard to go to the Bethany Christian Services dinner, but as you said, you heard some inspiring stories. I know that day I was so busy at work and tired that I wasn’t that excited about going, but once I got there and listened to all the speakers, I was so glad that I had the opportunity to go with you. I agree with you that open adoptions are a good option. Continue seeking out any opportunity that you can to network. It will happen for you guys.

    • Thanks Denise. I am glad you were able to go with me. I was worried about you driving home though. I know it was a long day for you, and made for a late night as well. We appreciate your thoughts and prayers.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: